Image via Flickr user bloomsburys
It used to be, the only way to purchase car insurance was through an agent. Now with the digital age in full swing another option is available. Purchasing car insurance directly through the internet is becoming more and more popular, which raises the question do I need an insurance agent?
Start by knowing all the methods to purchase car insurance. Then weigh the benefits of each one. Finally, go with your gut feeling. Car insurance is very important and you want to make sure the coverage is made clear at the time of purchase.
Three Sources of Car Insurance
- Captive AgentA captive agent is an agent that sells one primary insurance carrier. These agents are not sole proprietors. They work directly for the insurance company.
- Independent AgentAn independent agent is an agent that sells insurance through multiple carriers. While an independent agent may sell primarily for one carrier, they still have the ability to place business with other carriers if it benefits the client.
- Direct OnlineBuying direct means no agent is involved in the insurance process. The client does most of the work by imputing all the pertinent information online.
Benefits of Having an Agent
- Personalized ServicePersonalized service is something a lot of people still look for in the insurance industry.
- Knowing Your AreaHaving a local agent that knows your area is also a benefit. An agent can relate to you and where you live.
- Cash PaymentsCash is becoming scarce, but for the people who don’t want to give it up, most agencies still accept cash payments.
- Multi-policy DiscountA big perk for having all your insurance with an agent is the multi-policy discount.
Benefits of Buying Direct
- Fast Online ConvenienceBuying car insurance direct is super fast and convenient. Any time day or night, you can go online and run your own quote.
- Potential SavingsIt is possible to get a lower rate when purchasing car insurance direct.
Insurance agents are no longer mandatory with today’s technology. It is more of a personal preference in how you like to do business whether you need an agent or not.
by Emily Delbridge
See Full Story on carinsurance.about.com
Leave a Reply