ATLANTA — With cold weather in the forecast, Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner Ralph Hudgens is reminding Georgians of some heating tips to help keep their homes and families safe this winter.
“Year after year we’ve seen the rate of fire deaths in Georgia accelerate during the winter months,” Hudgens said. “Many of these fatal fires are caused by careless use of home heating equipment, particularly portable space heaters.”
Hudgens offers the following home heating safety tips:
• Heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires in Georgia. Portable space heaters, open fireplaces and wood stoves can be dangerous if misused. Keep them away from curtains, draperies and other flammable material. Make sure heaters have adequate ventilation and always follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions.
• Have your home heating unit checked annually to be sure it is working efficiently and safely. Make sure all fuel-burning appliances and fireplaces are properly vented. If you suspect a gas leak in your home, leave immediately and call the gas company from elsewhere.
• If you use kerosene space heaters, make sure each heater has an automatic shut-off in case it tips over. Use only K 1 kerosene in a space heater; gasoline can cause an explosion. Wait until the heater has cooled and take it outside before refueling.
See full story at www.jacksonprogress-argus.com