It may seem tempting to go without contents insurance, but its the simplest way to protect what you own
From TheSun.co.uk they teamed up with Moneyadviceservice.org.uk to offer ways to keep your premiums low:
- Increase security: Some companies will only insure you if you have BSI-approved locks on all outside doors and windows. You might also receive a reduction for joining your local Neighbourhood Watch scheme and for installing some security lighting.
- Install alarms: Smoke and burglar alarms are both important. Make sure they’re approved models — a NACOSS alarm (National Approvals Council for Security Systems) could earn a discount on your premiums.
- Take advantage of offers: Some insurers guarantee to beat any quote by up to ten per cent, on a like-for-like basis.
- Pay annually: Monthly premiums can cost more. There’s usually an extra six per cent charge to pay. But some insurers will allow payment by instalments for no extra charge so it’s worth shopping around.
- Increase the excess on your policy: Excess is a contribution you pay towards the cost of your claim. If you are happy to cover a bit more yourself, your premiums might be lowered.
- Build your no-claims discount: If you don’t claim for a few years there may be a discount, but not all firms offer this, so check first.
- Buy buildings and contents cover together: You might get a discount if you get both from the same firm. Also, if there’s a fire, or something that affects both the building and your possessions, it’s often simpler to claim.
by Jane Hamilton
See Full Story at www.thesun.co.uk
Leave a Reply